On the website, My M&E, in the Webniars page, under the title, Developing Capacities for Country M&E Systems, you can find an informative webinar by Michael Quinn Patton who discusses future trends in program and/or project evaluation.
The webinar was recorded using Elluminate and therefore when you click on the link, if you computer does not already have the most up-to-date Java script, it will download the Java script automatically, and the Elluminate interface will open.
If you are not interested in the opening remarks, you can move the playback slider forward to the 6:30 minute point, which is about where Michaels presentation begins. Also, at the end of the presentation Michael takes questions from an online, international audience.
In his presentation, Michael highlights 6 new trends in evaluation:
- Globalization of the evaluation profession.
- Evaluation as a transdiscipline.
- Increased political intent in accountability, performance, indicators and transparency.
- Growing interest on evaluation capacity-building and skill development.
- Debates about methods.
- Using system thinking and complex concepts.